Alaska Airlines Destinations

Case study

Alaska Airlines Destinations

 

Overview and problem statement

Alaska Airlines provides authoritative travel content such as tips, suggestions and insights on the destinations they serve. We knew that unique and engaging content would increase a customer's likelihood to purchase a flight. But the current destinations experience on the website lacked audience visibility and awareness for destinations we serve. From a content strategy perspective, there was a huge opportunity to increase business goals while enhancing the guest travel experience.

 

The Strategy

Our strategy was to rejuvenate the Alaska Airlines Destinations experience while increasing awareness of our destinations. We did a complete redesign of our existing destination pages with a new user interface and structure. Our editorial team curated all of the premium content and we partnered with a content aggregator agency that specializes in delivering dynamic real time destination specific content such as entertainment, activities, and events.

My product design process

 

Research, sketches and wireframes

Working in a Lean UX and Agile environment, we took an iterative building process of several months with a collaborative team made up of a product designer, content strategist, copywriter and several other stakeholders. We worked together to gather business and user research to help define the features and user flows. After that, I began working on preliminary sketches and whiteboard sessions with team members in order to start conceptualizing.

 

Element collages and high-fidelity mockups

From the wireframes, I began to create element collages. Element collages and style tiles are great because they convey that what you're creating isn't the final design but rather an assembly of components without specific logic or order. It's a great format that allows me to start thinking about how to visually express the UI components and also to document thoughts as they come to me at any stage. This process also allows me to facilitate a conversation with stakeholders about art direction and my creative thought process. This invariably leads to better-shared understanding of where the art direction is heading before a finished composition is fully realized. That means less back and forth in stakeholder meetings and more time for concepting and user testing.

The Solution

 

Where my front-end developers and I finally arrived. We transformed an outdated utilitarian destinations page into a visually aesthetically pleasing experience for our guests. Along the way, we introduced new UI components that we reused in the category and attractions landing pages, and placed those in our pattern library and style guide. Early user testing feedback gave us positive results and proved that we're delivering a relevant and engaging destinations experience.

©2017 copyright

Luis Perez. All rights reserved.